Tuesday, April 22, 2008

picture

On Sunday (March 30), we spent a number of frustrating hours trying to get my picture taken. I am one of ten winners of the EBSCO grant to attend this year’s ALA Annual Conference. They required digital pictures (of a specific size and dpi) of all the winners, as there will be a display in the registration area. My friend in the US told me that the pictures I already had were not the right dpi and suggested that I try to get a picture here as it would be cheap.

We went to a nearby mall and first went to one of those digital picture places that do passport and group photos. They took two shots. After 30 minutes, we saw the pictures (we couldn’t just pay for the save digital photo—we had to pay for a couple of print shots, too), and they were awful. We thought that we should go to a shop that does glamour photography; there happened to be one in the same mall. It turns out that they will only give you prints but will not save it on a flash drive. We went to a different mall and the glamour photo shop there also won’t save pictures on a flash drive.

As it was late and I was already cranky, we decided to give up to on this endeavor. Instead, we went to get my eyeglasses (I just changed my lenses, but it’s much cheaper to do it here) and get a late lunch. Fortunately, when I checked my email, my friend had configured an existing picture so that it’s the right dpi. And the picture was much better than the one the shop took. So, I’m glad that’s over.

No comments: