Thursday, March 27, 2008

food

While at my uncle's house, I was spoiled by the food. Whenever we were ready to eat, the food would already be prepared and on the table. The helpers prepared delicious food despite our dietary stipulations (i.e., I don’t like fish but my friend loves it, while I love pork but my friend doesn’t eat it).

When we arrived from Tagaytay and even though we'd already eaten, there was dinner for us, but I didn't take pictures. On Friday morning, we had quite a spread. We had biko (sweet sticky rice) with sikwate (native hot chocolate)--one of my favorite breakfasts, though I usually have budbud or suman (white sticky rice wrapped in banana leaves), instead of the biko. We also had mini-hotdogs and eggs. And I think there's some fish there for my friend.



For lunch, we had a soup with malunggay (moringa, or horseradish tree leaves--that's the green rounded leaf thing) and calabasa (squash), kinilaw na puso ng saging (heart of the banana, or banana bud, cooked in vinegar), and fish in tomatoes. This meal, at first, presented a bit of a problem for me as I'm a meat eater. We had to ask for some of the meat leftovers. But I did also have the soup and the kinilaw. I'd never had kinilaw before, and it's good!



For dinner, we had a different kind of fish dish (though it kinda looks the same), ampalaya (bittermelon) with eggs and ground pork, and bistek (beef with onions). The ampalaya dish presented a bit of a problem, as I don't like ampalaya and, while my friend likes ampalaya, she doesn't eat anything with pork. But I did eat it, and it wasn't bad; the ampalaya wasn't bitter, so that was good.

On Saturday morning, we had corned beef, eggs, and fish paksiw (vinegary soup). We had sweet and sour meatballs for lunch. We may have had something else, but I didn't take pictures, so I don't know (maybe it's more fish). For dinner, we had corn/egg drop soup, fried chicken wings, fried fish, and leftover kinilaw.



And that's what we ate over two days at my uncle's house. Were we spoiled or what?!

No comments: