Thursday, March 27, 2008

oh, the good life...

On Saturday (March 22), tempting as it was to stay in again, we proceeded with our plans. I had brought cheap ($1) kites from the US, and we wanted to fly them at the University of the Philippines campus. My companion had tried flying one from the balcony of our 21st floor apartment, and it was sturdy. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much wind, so we couldn’t actually fly our kites. Not that I really tried. But my friend was running around trying to get it up in the air. When she did get it to fly high, she ran out of string. (We shall have to add more string to our kites.) I mostly just sat around. We also people watched and, later, ate snacks. My friend had taho (soybean curd with sago or tapioca on top), and I had banana-cue.





After lunch, we went back to The Fort. I had wanted to do high tea at Tea & Therapy. It didn’t live up to my expectations, though. Some of the finger sandwiches/savory stuff were good. We had grilled soba in curry soup, farmers ham and cheese sandwich, grilled salmon and cucumber sandwich, roast beef and caramelized onion sandwich, and Melba toast (with bellpeppers). My favorites were the Melba toast and the soba. The sweet stuff (brownies, cookies, coconut panna cotta, green tea lemon crème brulee, chocolate crème brulee) were not so great, though. Of the cold teas, the peach one was good, but the lychee one was too sweet. The hot teas were lemongrass and rosemary; the rosemary one tasted much better than the lemongrass, though it was too strong later on. I think we were really supposed to have a choice from all their teas of the hot or cold tea we wanted, and that would probably have been better.

We then went to Fully Booked where we did research for the next day’s adventure. On the way to the car, we passed by Xocolat for a cup of hot chocolate. (Ever since I had this cup of decadent hot chocolate—almost like a cup of melted dark chocolate—at Naked Chocolate Café in Philadelphia, I have been wanting to taste it again.) At first, I thought it just tasted like our native hot chocolate. When I drank it later after dinner at home (it was too hot and difficult to drink while in the car), it actually did taste quite good. I’d definitely say it’s up there.

We were supposed to go to Antipolo after The Fort so we could look at the city lights, but it was late and we had a long day ahead of us on Sunday.

2 comments:

Lea said...

Food...glorious food! Everytime I check out your blog I start getting hungry. BTW, that sago't gulaman looks like taho w/ sago.

You should take pictures of Metro Manila Traffic also!

Did you go to Oceanpark yet? I can't wait to see those pictures!

island dreamer said...

you're right. it's taho. i just realized that yesterday. that reminds me to change it.

you gotta wait for the rest. though i'm leaving for the mountains tomorrow, so idk that i'll get to it.